Another day in paradise

The charges against 13 of the accused  in the Ureweras trial which arose out of the so called terror raids including my client Jamie Lockett were dropped at the Auckland High Court on Monday. That case has been ongoing since October 2007. I have never been involved in a case where there has been such an overwhelming air of predestination from the get go. It is truly disturbing how allegations of terrorism can whir through the Courts of New Zealand high and low without some much as a murmur. I see that District Court Judges were generally supportive of the disclosure regime which required people accused of serious criminal charges to reveal to the court and the Prosecution what their defence is. Again acutely disturbing. I just hope for all our sakes that the article that stated this was a very bad case of misreporting. But probably a forlorn hope. I understand as a result of the recent legal aid reforms that cases are now taking longer rather than a shorter time. Well done Simon Power, John Key. Its a  pity the Minister of the World cup didnt hire me as a consultant. I could have told him there would have been a minimum of 200000 people on the waterfront and that the auckland train service socalled would shit itself in the first ten minutes. 

Comments