How do Defence Lawyers sleep at night.

How do defence lawyers sleep at night?

I must admit when I saw the photos I was totally creeped out. It took me a while to get over them.  I had a flashback of defending a person charged with having sex with a woman who had an IQ of around 70. I agonized about the case and taking it to trial. But it was resolved on the court steps with a guilty plea and no prison sentence. A week of hot showers finally washed the case off me. I don’t think I did many more cases after that involving sexual crimes. Not because I wouldn’t or couldn’t. But perhaps word got around that I didn’t like women being raped and those defendants didn’t gravitate towards me. I felt more at home defending people charged with stealing vast amounts of money, sometimes off old people in Rest Homes. Was there something about the fact that no blood was spilled which enabled me to shut off the devastation inflicted on these victims? Did I have a fatal flaw? Should I get psychotherapy? Should I change to family law, where I once had the task to defend a client who would not pay for callipers for his crippled daughter? I could see there was no place to run, no place to hide. I had a young family and I owed the tax man. I resolved that being a criminal lawyer was all I knew. I could play the guitar but it was a long way to the top if I wanted to rock and roll. I thought fondly of some of my favourite court victories. Like the time I got a young guy from Glen Innes acquitted on a charge of smoking cannabis. They had no weed to produce in Court and the officer couldn’t say whether what he smelt was dope. Fortified by those warm fuzzy feelings I resolved to continue. My proudest moment was when I was called fucking mad for my closing address in the Operation 8 Trial. I had come to accept there was something perverse about my nature that career criminals could take advantage of and hide behind. I came to accept gang members as family friends. I could feel myself sinking deeper and deeper into a vacuum, where morality didn’t exist. Despite my best intentions, I could feel deep down it was hopeless. The weight of defending the guilty was too much. I was suffering from a chronic lack of sleep. I had developed anxiety from being in controlled courtrooms. I lined up an interview as a Prosecutor. I could bask for a while in the adulation of putting bad people in jail. I was sure that would cure the hole in my soul. I was sitting in the waiting room waiting to be called in. Then the bloody phone rang! Trevor had breached his bail. Reluctantly I drove to the police station. They let him off with a warning. I knew then it wasn’t a question of whether I slept or not. 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many different factors to take into account before deciding if it is worth hiring a truck accident lawyer. Accident attorneys deal with cases of personal injury. Learn more about babcock injury lawyers on this website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are facing a criminal charge and want to retain the best legal counsel you can, you should obtain a consultation from a Abogado de Dui Sacramento.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The truth is that it could happen to anyone, if they do not choose a quality criminal defense attorney to represent them, then they could be looking at many years in jail or even more. Interested to know more about criminal attorney ? Browse this site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember to take some time in researching about the attorneys so that you do not find any mishap during the process. Do a comprehensive research about the law firm and the reputation of the firm before hiring the best criminal defense attorney.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very important that you find a qualified criminal defense attorney as your criminal defense attorney will be on your side throughout the investigation and trial process. If you want to get more interesting details about best criminal defense, you may visit this site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are two ways in which a personal injury lawyer can help you. The first way is if he actually takes a case to court with you, in which case he will be paid his fee irrespective of winning or losing the case. For more information on personal injury lawyers read here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you have been injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your medical expenses, loss of income, pain and suffering, and damages to your vehicle. For more details about personal injury lawyer, visit this site right here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Getting a DUI attorney is important when you get arrested for a DUI. Most people do not know what the process is like when it comes to hiring a DUI attorney. Click here to get more information about attorney in sacramento.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Remortgaging is a common scenario for property buyers. When remortgaging, you are changing your mortgage provider or lender and need to transfer the mortgage. For more information about law firm on Paul Robinson.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He has extensive experience handling serious criminal cases, and has a large Middle Eastern clientele in western Sydney. Hanna is highly regarded in the courtroom for his keen ability to understand the case and formulate the most compelling strategy for it. For more ideal details about criminal solicitor sydney, pop over to these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Neck and Spine Injuries attorneys can be devastating to an individual's life. Aside from physical pain, victims experience medical bills, lost wages, and loss of companionship. These injuries can completely change one's lifestyle and their entire quality of life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Their goal is to make the transaction as simple as possible for you. They have a wide range of legal specialties and provide expert legal advice to domestic and commercial clients in Southend. You are curious to know more about expert advice, browse this site.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment