Loves confession

Come in, Mrs Bigwood. It is so good to see you. How’s Tony and the youngsters? Mr Dickenson, her eyelid pinched as she spoke, a painful issue. Can I talk to you? Give me your expert advice. Can you assure me our conversation is confidential? I can assure you my head is full of the best-kept secrets. That is what I do. Langton, can I use your first name? Can I call you Anne? Oh yes, yes, that makes me better. At the start of last week, I found he is having an affair with Sandra Titian. Do you remember her? There is a plumbing firm out in the industrial state where she works. I was talking to one of my superb friends who told me that an acquaintance of hers was driving home past the golf course a while back. There might be a misunderstanding. Why be together there at that hour regardless of which bloody seat? Tearing up, she became angry and emotional. Let her tell her story, Langton. Gathering her thoughts. Nobody wants to hear horrible news. And those earlier times. The one you dealt with for us when he strangled me. Yes, I recall that. He was lucky to be out of jail. If it hadn’t been for me having dinner with Sergeant Worth, it would have been messy. Yes, yes, I was so eager for the boys they don’t lose their father. I was so grateful you resolved it. Then there was that other occasion when he forced himself on me after a long drinking session at the hotel. There is that history between us. So, I got a good friend of mine Billy Farrell to watch him for two days. I have known Billy since schoolday, and he has always been good. He was my first serious boyfriend. We used to fuck at the old cement works when we were wagging school. He reported back that Tony spent most of one evening at her place when he told me he was at a night class. What should I do? I respect your opinion and your renowned common sense. I am a secret admirer. Well, Anne, I am flattered. It is so sensitive. The signs point to the fact that there’s sex involved and from other dealings… well, no, I won’t say. Don’t want to breach confidence. It may not have gone that far, though. Only a very strong man could resist Sandra if she was available. Yes, Mrs Bigwood acknowledged. She is young. I can see Tony weakening if faced with such an opportunity. It’s nerve-wracking for you. Why don’t you give it a week and we will see whether the marriage is irretrievable? It’s easy to file papers in court, but it’s not so easy to make the emotional break. Even when someone is cheating on you. Ok, I will keep cool. I won’t push it. I won’t cause any ructions. I will just let him decide what he will do and then make my decision. I will make sure I don’t get angry or fly into a jealous rage. He wont get that pleasure. Ok, Anne call me later in the week.
The next few days passed. There were many cases to do, and Langton’s appointment with Anne faded from memory. A  call came through in the car. It was Sergeant Worth. Shocking news. A terrible crime. Someone stabbed Tony to death at home. There’s no sign of anyone at the house. My offsider called to tell me that Sandra Titian is missing. Her husband called to say she hasn’t returned from work. We were wondering if you could help us locate Mrs Bigwood. We know she is a client of yours.  I do not expect you to breach client confidentiality, but we have an emergency. Could you call her? She might react better than getting a call from us. She is not answering. There is no sign of the two young boys either. They must be together somewhere.  I suspect the whole town knows of the marital problems.  Mr Dickenson assured the police officer to call Mrs Bigwood straight away. Anne, it’s Langton Dickenson here. Anne, can I come to you. You need help. Why Langton what’s happened? Well, someone has killed Tony at your house and the police are looking for you and the boys. Is your phone working?  I have just been up north with the boys visiting their grandma.  Look, come to my office. I will wait there for you. We can have a talk before the police arrive. Ok, Langton, I will be there in an hour. Mr Dickenson waited at the office, but she did not arrive. The next morning, he got a phone call from her. Billy has gone to the police station to confess. Langton, he believes I did it. I tried to convince him I did not do it. He did not do it, Langton. He is trying to protect me from something I did not do. Will you act for him? He is innocent.
Billy, the only evidence against you is your confession. Anne tells me you did not do it. They found the weapon under your house. There’s Tony’s DNA on it. They could not get a match on anyone else. The trial was short for a homicide. What with a full confession and the murder weapon found at the address, it did not take the jury long to convict Billy Farrell. The Judge sentenced him to life.
In Australia, Sandra Titian had set up a new life for herself. It was low key. She followed events at the trial. Her friends noticed she became quieter after the verdict. She became more and more withdrawn. Then one day she did not show up at her job downtown. Later in the day, her flatmate found her dead in bed. She had overdosed on fentanyl.
Langton was in his office reading a set of papers. His secretary gave him a pink letter addressed to him and marked confidential. It smelt of violets. A secret admirer Langton? He opened the letter. It contained a selfie of Sandra Titian in a bloodstained dress. She was holding the knife produced in evidence at the trial. In the bed was Tony Bigwood’s lifeless body. Langton called Anne Bigwood straight away. Anne, come to the office. She came, sensing the urgency in Langton’s voice. He showed her the photo. She could not resist an overwhelming urge to drive south to the prison where Billy was. A few days after her visit, they released him. They drove back home together.





Comments